A History of Preserving History
April 2, 1948, 26 people met as the first members of the Lincoln County Historical
Society. Their first goals included publishing excerpts from Lt. Theodore Talbot¹s
diary of his visit in 1849 to the area and preserving Yaquina Bay Lighthouse for
use as a museum. Over the next decade, those goals were met, as well as many others.
The Society focuses on the same goals established early by
its members: to preserve, publish, and educate. The
Society maintains two historic structures, the Burrows
House and a site on Newport's historic Bayfront slated
to become the Pacific Maritime & Heritage Center,
as well as the Log Cabin Museum. It also maintains the
CV Tradewinds Kingfisher, Stan Allyn's charter boat,
which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Society preserves the state's largest collection
of artifacts from Oregon's central coast.
Lincoln County Historical Society
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President: Bart January
Vice President: Bill Turner
Treasurer: Bob Olson
Secretary: James Bassingthwaite